Biochemistry is the study of the molecular/chemical basis of life. It has revolutionized our understanding of life and it provides backbone to modern medicine. Department of Biochemistry at Central Park Medical College is excels in imparting the knowledge of biochemistry to medical students which will help them to become good future doctors. All the professorial staff and majority of demonstrators possess relevant postgraduate qualifications and immense teaching experience. The department follows an efficient and result oriented teaching methodology which includes formal lectures, small group discussions and practicals. Lectures are made palatable for the students by using multimedia aids and power point presentations. Student participation is encouraged to make the sessions interactive and productive. Students are evaluated in small group discussions, their shortcomings are pointed out and remedies for the same are suggested. Regular tests based on MCQs, SEQs and viva voce format are also conducted at the end of each topic. Biannual comprehensive tests and a university standard send-up examination constitute a rigorous examination drill for the students. All the teaching staff is groomed to take up the challenging teaching assignments set up by the head of department. Practical training of the subject has been revised and focus has been shifted to diagnostic biochemistry. Students are trained to perform laboratory investigations like renal function tests, liver function tests, cardiac profile and urinalysis etc. The department is fully equipped with teaching aids and laboratory facilities. All the teaching and ancillary staff at the department of biochemistry is wholeheartedly committed to teach the subject to the best of their abilities. Establishment of research on firm grounds is a hallmark step of the department and student participation in these endeavors is highly encouraged. College administration has extended complete support to the department in its research ventures. The department is striving to achieve its goals and set higher ones as challenges for the future.
Department of Biochemistry at Central Park Medical College is headed by Professor Mukhtar Ahmad Hashmi who has vast teaching and research experience in this field. He holds a PhD and he has formerly served as Professor and Chairman of the Biochemistry Department at Allama Iqbal Medical College for several years. He has 30 international and national research publications to his credit. Government of Pakistan has awarded him with the coveted title of ‘Productive Scientist of Pakistan’ in recognition of his research accomplishments. Prof. Hashmi is also the author of ‘Textbook of Medical Biochemistry’ which is one of the best available resources for the knowledge of biochemistry.
Dr. Abdul Waheed, Assistant Professor, is a seasoned educationist having a PhD qualification. Several of his research papers have been published in renowned scientific journals. Dr. Syed Imran Ali Shah, Assistant Professor, is a graduate of ‘King Edward Medical University’ and he holds a postgraduate M.Phil degree in Biochemistry from ‘The University of Health Sciences.’ He is a young and motivated research worker with research publications on topics of clinical interest.
The biochemistry department has shown excellent progress since the establishment of Central Park Medical College.
1. Highlight of the department’s academic achievements has been the 100% result in the first professional examination and 18 distinctions in the subject of biochemistry.
2. The revision of the ‘Textbook of Medical Biochemistry’ after extensive reviewing and updation during the course of last year is another feather in the cap of Professor Hashmi. The entire departmental staff assisted in this momentous task
3. More recently, the department has taken a giant leap forward by instituting biomedical research at the college. A pilot project in this regard is the study of oxidative stress in various lung pathologies while a number of other research projects are also in the pipeline.
4. Prof. Dr. Mukhtar Ahmad Hashmi has been awarded Quaid-e-Azam Gold Medal and Khadimain Hermain Sharifain Shah Abdulah bin Abdul Aziz Gold Medal by Tehrik-e- Istehkam-e-Pakistan on 10th April,2011. He has been awarded for his outstanding services to the Medical Prifession. Prof. Hashmi has more than 30 years teaching and research experience.He is also author of books on Biochemistry.
5. The Biochemistry Department has published a book titled as "Quick Review MCQs with explanations", under the Supervision of Prof. Hashmi.
6. Dr. Syed Imran Ali Shah, Assistant Professor Biochemistry has been selected by Lindau Council, Germany for participation in the prestigious Noble Lauraetes Meetings to be held at Germany from 24th June to 7th July 2011. He is amongst 550 young researchers selected from 20.000 contestants Worldwide. HEC is sponsoring his visit to Germany.CPMC is proud of these achievements.